Casino review / Sun City
07 Dec 1979
Sun City is undoubtedly a splendid resort and well-known throughout the world. It is a premier holiday destination on the African continent! Why? The answer is very simple: because it is one of the most prestigious casinos and holiday resorts in the world. The legendary Sun City is located in the North West Province of South Africa, between the Elands River and the Pilanesberg National Park, near the town of Rustenburg, and a two hour drive from Johannesburg.
The resort was opened on December 7, 1979, and is spread over 25 ha. It includes various luxury hotels, a casino, a dive base, a theatre, cinemas, restaurants, two golf courses, a crocodile farm and a huge tropical garden with more than a million plant species. You can find out what the resort has to offer in more detail in the rest of this review.
Over 330 slots and 40 game tables
Players can find a nice casino in this gigantic complex and enjoy a bright atmosphere. The casino is open 24 hours, 7 days a week and you can access if you are 18 years or older and able to present a valid ID.
The slot machines
The slot machines are scattered throughout the casino and you can play in smoking and non-smoking areas. There are over 330 devices accepting denominations from R1 on the main floor to R100 in the in the Salon Privé. The games are available every day around the clock, and there is something for everyone. You can find the following types of games:
- games where you can win a progressive jackpot,
- traditional slot machines with mechanical reels,
- modern video slot machines with digital screens,
- video poker in many different versions,
- multi-game devices,
- electronic roulette games.
The traditional games
The traditional table games are available every day from 1 pm until the early hours of the morning. There are over 40 tables that allow you to enjoy the thrilling atmosphere of the games:
- blackjack (with minimum stakes starting from R50 on the main floor and a maximum of R5,000R in the Salon Privé),
- punto banco (with minimum stakes starting from R100 on the main floor and a maximum of R10,000 in the Salon Privé),
- midi punto banco (with minimum stakes starting from R100 on the main floor and a maximum of R10,000 in the Salon Privé),
- American roulette (with minimum stakes starting from R10 on the main floor and a maximum of R500 in the Salon Privé).
Everything taken care of for a pleasant stay
The Sun City Casino has a lot more to offer than just these games. In fact, the complex offers a multitude of other activities allowing you to spend an unforgettable time. The complex is spread over 25 ha, and there is so much to do, you will never be bored. You can find out more about these other services in the next paragraphs.
Whether you are on a romantic getaway, a trip with friends or a family holiday, the Sun City resort allows you to enjoy a stay for several days. The resort offers four luxurious hotels to choose from. These are:
- the Sun City Hotel **** which is located right in the centre of the resort and offers easy access to all attractions,
- the Cascade Hotel ***** which is a true oasis of luxury and relaxation, surrounded by waterfalls and swimming pools,
- The Cabanas **** which offers a classy and modern atmosphere near Lake Waterworld,
- The Palace of the Lost City ***** that invites you to enjoy the royal residence of a civilization that was destroyed by an earthquake. The hotel was inspired by the novels The Jungle Book and King Solomon's Mines.
You have a large choice of restaurants and can have a bite at:
- The Brew Monkey,
- Food Factory,
- Mugg & Bean,
- The Palm Terrace,
- The Raj,
- The Peninsula,
- Crystal Court,
- The Grill Room,
- The Palace Gazebo,
- The Palace Pool Deck,
- Gary Player Country Club,
- The Crocodile Lounge,
- The Shebeen,
- Ocean Basket.
Having a drink
There are also many bars, such as:
- the Cabanas Hotel Pool Bar,
- the Treasure Island Snack Bar,
- the Cherry,
- the Harlequin's Cocktail Bar,
- the Sun City Hotel & Casino Pool Bar,
- the Luma Barand Lounge,
- The Tusk Bar & Lounge,
- The Maze Bar.
You can also enjoy:
- two golf courses,
- tennis courts,
- a dive base,
- water slides,
- a water park (Valley of Waves),
- an acrobranch park (The Maze of the Lost City),
- a spa (Gary Player Health Spa),
- a shopping centre,
- an animation centre,
- a theatre,
- an event centre,
- a gym,
- a crocodile farm,
- a tropical garden with over a million plant species.
In short, the Sun City resort deserves its fantastic reputation. The casino is not necessarily exceptional, as there is no poker room available, but nevertheless, the game selection is large and can be compared to that of a casino in Europe. The resort also has many other attractions to offer.
By plane : Airport of Pilanesberg Airport which is 10 km away.
Slot machines : 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Table games : every day from 1 pm until the early hours of the morning.