What is slot machine volatility?
Slot volatility, also called variance, refers to the level of risk that of a particular game. Simply put, the term refers to the frequency and cash value of payouts.
High volatility slots yield few wins with high prices. Low volatility slots feature more payouts for lower amounts.
Along with the return to player (RTP), variance is one of the most important elements to consider when choosing a slot to play for real money at an online casino. This is because it doesn’t simply impact the odds of winning and the amounts of cash you can win. It has a huge influence on the gameplay and the overall gaming experience.
Casino software developers build games in such a way that everything comes together to provide a unique gameplay tailored for different players’ preferences and styles. Thus, volatility is directly linked to a slot’s design, mechanics and features, including bonus games.
Check out our slot reviews to see detailed information and play free demos!
High variance slots carry a high risk, with less frequent payouts. However, landing just the right combination can yield truly big wins.
These games are for players who are comfortable with seeing their bankroll decrease over several spins without seeing any winnings. That said, when the symbols do line up, there’s a chance you could be cashing out a life-changing amount of money!
Best high volatility online slots
- Mega Moolah (Microgaming): as far as high volatility games go, there’s no beating the record-breaking progressive jackpots of this historic jungle-themed video slot.
- Book of Dead (Play’N Go): this game launched an entire series of beautifully designed games set in ancient Egyptian temples.
- Bonanza Megaways™ (Big Time Gaming): this timeless classic introduced the world to the Megaways™ engine, launching a new era of innovative and action-packed mechanics.
Medium volatility slots are hugely popular among players because they yield more frequent wins with a more acceptable level of risk. While the prizes are not as high, you get much more playtime for your bankroll.
The best medium variance slots have the best of both worlds. They’re great for relaxing with a less intense gaming experience, while packing great bonus features that spice up the game with an extra layer of excitement.
Best medium volatility online slots
- Gonzo’s Quest (NetEnt): the animated conquistador Gonzo takes you on an adventure into the heart of the jungle, complete with tumbling reels and exciting reaction wins.
- Chronos Joker (Play’N Go): this game follows a space-age on a journey to the stars with a great re-spin feature and a traditional 3x3 layout.
- Egyptian Emeralds (Playtech): one of the best slots to lay back and relax, while watching the reels spin against a background of the pyramids gleaming in the desert.
Low volatility slots are all about having fun. They carry very little risk, with a higher hit frequency yielding small wins. This is the perfect choice for players who want to pass the time and have fun, but aren’t into running high risks in exchange for potentially bigger wins.
Best low volatility online slots
- Starburst (NetEnt): this is the all-time most popular online slot, and its low variance is one of the main reasons why it consistently tops the charts every year.
- Blood Suckers 2 (NetEnt): this vampire-themed slot takes you on an adventure that you can play all the way to the end without staking a large bankroll.
- Big Bad Wolf (QuickSpin): this quirky cartoon slot with a storybook theme is all about the joy of immersing yourself in the world of the three little piggies and the big bad wolf.
How to choose the right slot volatility for you?
Knowing what the best type of slot is for you is crucial to having a good online gambling experience. The key to deciding between low, medium and high volatility slots is to know what kind of player you are. In particular, you need to define the risks you’re willing to take and the type of gaming experience that you prefer in terms of intensity.
feedback FAQ about Slot machine volatility
- ✅ What does volatility mean in online slots?
- Volatility is the level of risk and potential reward of a slot machine. High volatility means winning combinations land less often, yielding higher wins. Low volatility has more frequent prizes of lower values. Read more at FeedBACK and play our slot demos to choose the best type for you. keyboard_arrow_right
- ✅ How is slot volatility calculated?
- Developers track different statistics to calculate a slot’s volatility index (VI). One way to do this is to spin the reels millions, even billions of times, in order to establish the relationship between the frequency of wins, the amounts wagered and the total value of the prizes. keyboard_arrow_right
- ✅ How can slot volatility impact winnings?
- Simply put, high volatility yields higher prizes and low volatility yields lower prizes. Higher volatility levels also carry increased risk. Check out FeedBACK Casino for more information and see what is the right volatility level for you. keyboard_arrow_right
- ✅ Which are the best high volatility slots?
- The best high volatility slots are the ones that provide the most exciting gameplay. At FeedBACK, you’ll find a list of the top high volatility slots with free demos, and exclusive welcome bonus offers to play at online casinos.