Virtual reality (VR) is a fascinating technology. Yet, even today it still seems a little too futuristic and weird.
The truth is, we could still be in the early adoption phase, but we clearly can’t ignore it anymore. VR gaming is coming and, in fact, VR casinos are already here. Let us show you the most awesome VR online casinos and what it takes to elevate your game to the next level.
Wouldn’t it be great to play blackjack in your favourite casino without leaving your home or somewhere completely mind-blowing like a fantasy film?! Meet up with your friends there, meet new people across the world and have a good time as you forget for a moment what’s real and what’s not. Well, VR developers are not quite there yet to fake reality, but there are companies that have already created a very convincing version of a VR casino that you can visit today.
The Best VR Casinos
Very few operators have the guts to create something new and innovative. However, the ones who do and do it well are also writing a new chapter in the online gaming history. Here’s our list of TOP VR casinos that are open for play right now:
Best online virtual casino
- More emotion and immersion mean more fun and more profound experience
- VR technology is now more affordable and widespread than ever before
- Play completely new kind of games which are not possible in regular 2D
- Enables next-level, life-like social interaction with dealers and players
- More life-like experience which resembles brick and mortar casinos
- Free software and practice mode available
Read our full reviews to learn more and be sure to leave your first impressions in the comments!
Virtual Reality in a Nutshell
Virtual reality goes as far back as 19th century, but things are just starting to get serious and gain popularity among general public. But, what is Virtual Reality anyway?
To kill two birds with one stone, let’s contrast two emerging technologies: AR and VR. Augmented reality or AR, which companies like Google Maps, Apple and Pokemon Go are popularising today, can place a dinosaur right in front of you as you’re holding your phone with a camera in front of you. Virtual reality, on the other hand, can actually take you to the Jurassic period with T-Rex and other creatures by creating an entirely new 360-degree world from scratch. VR companies like Oculus produce special goggles, headsets and joysticks, thus replacing your sense of what’s real, including visual, auditory and haptic perception.
Where Does VR Gaming Fit?
So, is VR gaming the future? Quite possibly: let’s take a brief look at the history of gaming and see how it all leads to a world where you actually want to play with a computer on your head.
Street gambling aside, land-based casinos and resorts like Las Vegas have been dominating the gambling industry for most of its history. Even today, 90% of the industry revenues come from brick and mortar casinos and gaming machines (H2GC, February 2018). From mid 90s until today, online gaming and the Internet have gone viral and turned into a billion-euro industry. Next thing we know, everyone’s reaching out to their phones and tablets and developers with operators catching up optimising games and casinos for smaller screens and touch gestures.
There’s nothing that would replace the actual experience at a casino (yet), but we can now enjoy a cup of coffee on a highway as our car does its AI thing and have phones which are a million times more powerful than the rocket that took Armstrong to the Moon. That’s to say we are pretty close to enjoying the “real casino” experience while sitting on our couch. We believe it’s going to be a smooth but natural transition from plain PC and mobile gaming to VR gaming, at least for players who seek for the ultimate experience.
VR Casino Games
What VR games can you play with only a few VR developers out there? You’ll be actually surprised to find around 50 of them. Most of them are video slots that have been imported and optimised for VR gaming. Some of the more unique VR slots include Pragmatic’s Sugar Rush VR and NetEnt’s Gonzo’s Quest VR.
It’s a bit trickier with table and card games like roulette and blackjack, but developers are working hard to deliver an experience unlike anything else. The first demos are already in testing as of 2018-19, so it’s only a matter of time until we see VR table games at online casinos. Before that, let’s see what you actually need to experience one for yourself.
What Do You Need to Play at VR Casino?
There are several major companies who are racing to create the best VR headsets and controllers in the industry. This includes Oculus, which Facebook acquired in 2014 for $2 billion, HTC Vive, Sony PlayStation VR, and Samsung Gear VR.
If you get one of those devices that you connect to your PC, then here are the recommended desktop requirements to make sure everything runs smoothly, according to NVIDIA:
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 or greater
- HTC Vive Pro GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 or greater
- CPU: Intel Core i5- 4590 equivalent or greater (Intel Core i5-7300HQ or greater for notebooks/laptops)
- Memory/RAM: 8GB+ RAM
- Video Output: 1x HDMI 1.3
- Ports: 3x USB 3.0
- HTC Vive and Oculus Rift
OS: Windows 7 SP1 (64bit) or higher
Driver: Oculus – 361.91 and newer
HTC – 361.75 and newer
- Windows Mixed Reality
OS: Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
Driver: 387 and newer
Don’t worry, even if you have a machine that’s twice less powerful than that, then it could still run VR casino games as they are usually not as graphics-demanding as some top-of-the-range blockbusters out there.
For next-level VR experience, and if the software allows, consider getting yourself a controller. And, don’t forget to put on headphones for atmospheric sounds and other game effects!
Do you need all that?
Some casinos like SlotsMillion also let you experience the VR world without any additional gadgets: just can browse around the virtual reality casino with your keyboard and play the games on your monitor as if it was a regular PC game.
Even if you don’t have a PC, you can get yourself a wireless headset like Oculus Quest, which does all the work on the device itself, or buy yourself a simple and cheap cardboard set like Google Cardboard, where you insert your existing smartphone. However, the latter will be limited to compatible mobile VR games only.
- What is the procedure to follow to start playing in a VR casino?
- To get started, you first need to create a casino account as usual. And for that you need to be at least 18 years of age, depending where you’re playing from. After that you can go ahead and download the free VR software to a supported device like a Windows machine and start playing for free or real money, after making your first deposit. keyboard_tab
- What accessories do I need to play in a VR casino?
- For the best experience, get yourself a proper VR headset like Oculus Go, Quest or Rift, or one of the alternatives from HTC, Samsung or Sony. keyboard_tab
- Can I use a Google Cardboard or similar to play in a VR casino?
- Yes, but not with all VR games because even flagship phones are not made to handle heavy graphics and processing that virtual reality gaming needs. keyboard_tab
- Can I play in a VR casino without downloading?
- At the moment, it’s not possible to run VR casino in web browsers only. keyboard_tab
- Can I try VR casino in demo mode?
- Yes, you can play at a VR casino for practice. keyboard_tab
- Do VR casinos offer bonuses?
- Yes, like regular online casinos, VR casinos also offer welcome bonuses and other promotions. keyboard_tab
- Do my responsible gambling limits apply in a VR casino?
- Yes, once you’ve adjusted your casino limits, these will also apply in the VR casino. keyboard_tab
- Will I see other players at a VR casino?
- Yes, you’ll also see other players in real time; and if the casino has a social add-on then you even get to speak to them and make new friends. keyboard_tab
- Can other players see me when I play in a VR casino?
- Yes, just like in any other multi-player online game. keyboard_tab
- Will other players see my game screen?
- No, they will only see you as a third person playing a game.
- Play completely new type of games
- Socialise with other players in real time
- Way more fun and immersive than regular casinos
- Safe and secure, so you can play with peace of mind
- Bragging rights for being an early adopter of this technology
- Comfortable since you don’t have to leave your home to end up in a different place
- Need expensive gadgets and powerful PCs to handle the graphics and processing
- Can be more addictive due to the more immersive nature
- Lack of regulation to tackle responsible gambling in VR
- Less convenient than launching a game on your phone
- Lack of proper VR games and their developers
- Lack of VR casinos
VR gaming is one of the hottest trends in technology and VR casinos are a natural step towards a more immersive and engaging experience. Although we are still at the very beginning of this revolution, you’d be surprised to find how far some developers and operators have already gone to deliver a casino experience that was previously seen only in science fiction movies.
Whether you have the headset or just a PC, we recommend visiting one of our TOP VR casinos to see what it’s all about, because you never know if you like it until you actually try. See you in VR!