Review written by Sophie Couard, March 1st, 2016.
The Borgata Hotel Casino and Spa is surely one of the most prestigious entertainment complexes in Atlantic City. Before it was opened in July 2003, it was the Trump Taj Mahal that reigned the city, but soon after the Borgata opened, it managed to win the hearts of the players, and it set new benchmarks in the seaside resort in New Jersey.
I must admit, the complex has many assets to attract customers. It is a classy place with an elegant and sophisticated decor. It is really beautiful when it is lit up at night as well. It is a little less impressive during the day, but you can still feel that it is a great and classy establishment.
However, one downside is that it is not located on the famous broadwalk. Fortunately, the complex has so much to offer to their visitors that it is not too bad that there is no beach nearby.
A nice casino
Let me start this review by talking more about the casino of the complex. The massive games room in the Borgata Hotel Casino and Spa spans over an area of over 15,000 m². The selection of games is simply impressive!
The slot machines
There are over 4,000 devices in total, and among them are:
- slot machines with mechanical reels (such as for example Blazing 7's, Diamond Jackpots Triple Double Stars or Monte Carlo Spin & Win Stars & Bars),
- slots with video reels (such as for example Cleopatra, Da Vinci Diamonds or Dynasty Riches),
- video poker (such as for example All Star Poker, Super Bonus Deuces Wild Poker or Ultimate X Poker).
Among these games are also many slots inspired well-known brands, such as:
- television series (such as for example Game of Thrones, The Big Bang Theory or The Flintstones),
- movies (such as for example Gremlins, Willy Wonka Pure Imagination or The Wizard of Oz),
- celebrities (such as for example Britney Spears, The Rolling Stones or Ellen's 12 Days of Giveaways).
There are also a lot of games where you can win a progressive jackpot.
The table games
You can find over 180 tables with traditional games in an equally nice environment. The games are:
- pai gow poker,
- pai gow tiles,
- let it ride,
- four card poker,
- three card poker,
- flop poker,
- bonus poker,
- Caribbean stud poker,
- Spanish 21,
- big six wheel.
The poker room opened in 2006 and it covers an area of over 2,000 m². You can find 85 tables there, and it has become one of the nicest poker rooms in Atlantic City. You can play tournaments or participate in cash games with blinds from $2 / $4:
- texas hold'em,
- 7 card stud,
The race and sports betting area
The room for horse betting is open from 11 am, and you can experience the fun and excitement of these competitions. There are 100 comfortable seats available, all equipped with a flat screen monitor. There is also a huge video screen showing important events.
Many other things to do
As you can see, the Borgata Hotel Casino and Spa offers a very nice games room that stands out from other casinos, as it is very large and offers a fantastic game selection. But what about other services offered in the resort? This is what I will cover in the next paragraphs.
When the resort first opened the hotel had 2,002 rooms and suites, which made it the largest hotel in New Jersey. A few years later in 2008, they added an additional tower (The Water Club), and the number of rooms rose to 2,802 rooms in total. You can stay in:
- a Classic room,
- a Grande room,
- a Fiore suite,
- an Opus suite,
- a Piatto suite,
- a Club room,
- a Vista room.
Overall, the rooms are very large and well equipped. The bathroom is especially nice and beautifully decorated. I must admit, it is surely one of the best hotels in Atlantic City. However, the rates are very high, perhaps too much considering what is offered to visitors. Even if the service is of high quality, the value for money is not necessarily excellent. Regarding the price to value ratio, there are probably better establishments somewhere else in the city.
The resort has a dozen restaurants, which should be enough to appeal to most visitors with different tastes and budgets. You can find:
- high class restaurants (Bobby Flay Steak, Fornelletto, Izakaya, Old Homestead Steak House and Wolfgang Puck American Grille),
- mid-range restaurants (Borgata Baking Company, Borgata Buffet, The Metropolitan, Bread + Butter, Now, 28 West, Sunroom and The Cafeteria).
If you want to relax and have some fun you can also find:
- two indoor swimming pools (Borgata Pool & Gardens and The Water Club Outdoor Pool),
- two outdoor swimming pools (Lap Pool at Immersion Spa and The Water Club Indoor Pool),
- two spas (Spa Toccare and Immersion Spa),
- a hair dresser,
- a barber,
- a fitness centre,
- a small shopping centre,
- a nightclub (Mur Mur Nightclub),
- 12 bars (The Bar at Wolfgang Puck, The Bar at Bobby Flay, 28 West Bar, Fornelletto Wine Bar, Izakaya Sake Bar, Wine Bar at Old Homestead, B Bar, Long Bar, Gypsy Bar, Level One, Sunroom Lounge & Sunbar and Boot N'Whip),
- a theatre.
In conclusion, I can say that the Borgata Hotel Casino and Spa deserves its excellent reputation, and it is indeed one of the best complexes in Atlantic City. It is even the best. Although a small critique is that the hotel is a little too expensive for the services offered and the location is a little too far away from the beach, but the decoration is very nice and the resort offers many additional recreational services. The icing on the cake: the casino is excellent! It is very large and presents a fantastic game selection!