Casino review / Barrière El Gezirah
01 Jan 2007
Cairo is the capital of Egypt, and emerging as one of the most populated cities in the world. It has a large urban and architectural diversity, a modern centre with many historical attractions, such as Abedin Palace and the Al-Manyal Palace, as well as historic centres. These include the Old Cairo (the Coptic neighbourhood where the Babylon Fortress and the Coptic museum are located) and the Islamic quarter (UNESCO World Heritage Site, that has among others the Citadel of Saladin and the great souk). To that you can add to the proximity of the Giza Pyramids, and it is easy to see why this city attracts many tourists from around the world.
There is also an interesting casino, the Barrière Casino El Gezirah in Cairo, and you can find out more about the establishment in the rest of this review about it.
Only a few slots but many table games
The establishment is located near the Opera House, Egyptian Museum, the great Khan el Khalili souk and the Cairo Tower, and it features a large casino that is open 24 hours, 7 days a week. The casino is open to all adults (of at least 18 years), and only if they are not prohibited from gambling. It is also necessary to present a proof of identity (national identity card or passport).
The slot machines
The slot machines room has a colourful and festive atmosphere, but you can only find a small selection of 35 devices with:
- 4 games with 6 levels of progressive jackpots,
- 4 traditional mechanical slot machines with minimum bets starting from $0.02,
- 28 latest generation video slots accepting coin values of $0.02 to $2,
- 3 video poker devices accepting stakes from $0.50 to $1.
The table games
Fortunately, the selection of traditional table games is much larger than that of the slots. In fact, you can experience the thrill of these games at a dozen tables with:
- 5 tables with American roulette,
- 5 tables with blackjack,
- 3 tables with stud poker,
- 1 table with three card poker.
You can experience poker faces, high stakes, sunglasses and sleepless nights in the exciting poker room that has 4 tables for texas hold'em. You can play against other players in cash games and tournaments.
Inside a 5-star palace hotel
The Barrière Casino in Cairo is located inside the Sofitel Hotel. The palace hotel is at the southern tip of El Gezirah island and overlooks the Nile. It is not far from Tahrir Square and is linked by the Qasr-al-Nil bridge. It has a private promenade along the river that attracts many visitors. This luxury 5-star hotel offers rooms from €140 per night and many services and leisure facilities, including a hammam, a spa, a gyms and a heated outdoor infinity pool on the Nile.
Visitors of the casino can enjoy a meal at one of the seven restaurants at the hotel. These are:
- the Buddha Bar that is open from 8 pm to 3 am (it is a unique place that offers an original cuisine that is inspired by Asian cuisine, as well as creative cocktails that can be enjoyed in a lively environment with a DJ),
- the Palmeraie that is open from 7 pm to 1 am (live music, colourful shishas and fresh mint teas create the delightfully lively oriental atmosphere of this tagine restaurant),
- the Deck that is open from 2 pm to 1 am (it has an elegant atmosphere and a perfect location. You can enjoy Mediterranean and oriental cuisine),
- the Vendôme that is open from 7 pm to 00.30 am (a gourmet restaurant that offers French cuisine with an à la carte menu and a great selection of wines),
- the Window on the Nile that is open from 10 am to 1.30 am (it offers a large selection of pastries and art books in a Parisian tea room atmosphere),
- the Sud that is open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day (it offers a large self-service buffet and invites you to enjoy Mediterranean delicacies on a terrace overlooking the Nile),
- the El Kebabgy that is open from 12 pm to 0.30 am (that features demonstrations of bread making and live music in an authentic Eastern atmosphere where you can enjoy meat dishes).
You can also visit five different bars in the hotel. These are:
- the oriental lounge Buddha Bar that is open from 7 pm to 3 am,
- the Cafe Sud in the lobby which is open from 6 am until midnight,
- the Deck that floats on the Nile and is open from 7 pm to 2 am,
- the Sunny Bar near the infinity pool which is open from 9 am to 6 pm,
- the Window on the Nile that has a Parisian atmosphere and is open from 9 am to 2 am.
Before you visit the Barrière Casino El Gezirah in Cairo, you must know what to expect. If you like slot machines and relaxed atmospheres you should go somewhere else. There is nothing for you there. However, if you like luxury and elegance, as well as traditional games and poker, it is the perfect place for you. Personally, even if the selection of slots is a little frustrating, I love this complex, as it has a very nice atmosphere.
By metro : Stop Opera
By plane : International airport of Cairo.
24 hours, 7 days a week