Italy
25
10.2018

The Gambling Prohibition Law is not effective in Italy

By Sophie Couard

The results of the largest gambling survey ever conducted in Italy have just been published.

The Italian health authority (ISS, Istituto Superiore di Sanita) has just published the results of the largest nationwide gambling survey. Based on the results of this study, the suggestion would seem to be that an advertising ban does not reduce the number of addicts significantly.

Over a third of Italians gamble at least once in last 12 month

The survey found that 18.4 million Italians, or about 36.4% of the population, gambled at least once in the last 12 months. Italy ranks fifth among European countries, behind Spain (75.7%), the United Kingdom (63%), France (56.2%) and Germany (39%). Of these 18.4 million, approximately 13 million are considered trouble-free players, 2 million low-risk players, 1.4 million risk takers, and 1.5 million problem gamblers.

ISS

Advertising had little effect on gambling appetite

It shows that only 19.3% of Italian players were influenced by advertising.

The Italian government has recently passed legislation prohibiting gambling advertising in order to limit the risk of gambling addiction. This measure is currently the focus of criticism and there is even an official lawsuit by online casino LeoVegas before the European Commission. The survey conducted by the ISS suggests that this ban is unlikely to meet its targets. According to the study, only 19.3% of Italians who played actively last year did so after seeing gambling ads, while the remaining 80.7% felt that advertising had no effect on their willingness to gamble.

Will this study affect the recently established gambling ban on gambling? We’ll see what the future brings. In the meantime, you can continue to enjoy yourself in the best online casinos including SlotsMillion, Thrills or Codeta.

By Sophie Couard
By Sophie Couard - EDITOR

I am a great fan of gambling, I became a croupier to finance my studies. After my high school diploma in economic and social sciences , I obtained a bachelor's degree in economics and then a master in philosophy with a thesis on player behavior. After working in an online casino customer support, I became a writer on FeedBack Casino.