Casino review / Tropicana Atlantic City
23 Nov 1981
The Tropicana Casino & Resort in Atlantic City opened its doors on November 23, 1981 and replaced the former Ambassador Hotel. It was originally called Tropworld, but got its present name in 2003 to celebrate a series of renovations.
The establishment is conveniently located at the intersection of Brighton Avenue and the boulevard that borders the waterfront (the famous Boardwalk), and it is the largest hotel in the entire state of New Jersey. Spread over three separate towers are over 2,000 rooms and suites. Unfortunately, some of them have an old fashioned decoration and somewhat outdated equipment. This is unfortunately not the strong point of the complex, it is better to look at the three floors that were inspired by Havana and named the Quarter. The interior design is very stylish, and you can find for example an IMAX cinema, shops, restaurants, a nightclub, etc. The establishment also offers an excellent spa, a theatre worthy of the Broadway, a swimming pool, and a beautiful outdoors bar, not to mention the huge casino!
Let us now see in more detail what the establishment has to offer.
A nice game selection
Let us start this review in style, by immediately talking about what is the most interesting for us as a player: the casino! The games room of the Tropicana Casino & Resort Atlantic City is very large and spans over 11,500 m².
The slot machines
There are more than 3,000 slot machine devices from 1 cent available. Among them are:
- traditional slot machines with mechanical reels,
- modern video slot machines,
- games with progressive jackpots,
- different variants of video poker,
- video keno
- electronic versions of classic table games.
A positive thing to mention is that some video poker machines have very high payout rates to the players, and this is why the casino is the best place for this type of game in Atlantic City.
The table games
There are 135 tables with traditional table games:
- Caribbean stud poker,
- four card poker,
- texas hold'em bonus,
- let it ride,
- six card bonus,
- three card poker.
There is also a lounge with Asian Games named Jade Palace. It is open on Wednesday and Thursday from 2 pm to 10 pm, Friday from 4 pm to 2 am, Saturday from 2 pm to 4 am, and Sunday from noon to 10 pm. There you can play:
- pai gow poker,
- pai gow tiles.
There is also one of the largest poker rooms in Atlantic City located at the casino. The room is open 24 hours, 7 days a week and offers 22 tables allowing you to play tournaments and cash games.
Many other things to do
Playing at the casino is always thrilling and entertaining. But let's face it, you cannot play all day long. You also need to sleep, eat and do other things besides gambling to have fun. That is why the Tropicana Casino & Resort in Atlantic City offers many alternatives to the casino.
To this day, the hotel is the largest in New Jersey. It has more than 2,100 rooms and suites, and you can choose from:
- the standard room west tower,
- the standard room Havana tower,
- the north tower ultra king,
- the north tower doubles,
- the north tower ocean view king,
- the south tower mini suite,
- the north tower king suite,
- the premium suite north tower bi-level,
- the park avenue suite.
As I mentioned in the introduction, booking at this resort is a bit of a gamble. While some rooms are fully renovated and offer excellent equipment, others are a little outdated and do not fully satisfy. But, rest assured, this is not really outrageous, it is just that a little refurbishment would be good for the rooms.
You can find a selection of 20 restaurants for dining.
There are multiple gourmet restaurants:
- the Fin that specialises in sea food,
- the Il Verdi that specialises in northern Italian cuisine,
- the Golden Dynasty specialising in Asian cuisine,
- the Carmine's inspired by New York Italian restaurants,
- the Cuba Libre that offers Cuban cuisine,
- the Palm with a steakhouse menu,
- the PF Chang's Atlantic City that specialises in modern cuisine.
You can also find several restaurants for the general public:
- the Dam Good Sports Bar,
- the Broadway Burger Bar,
- the Casa Taco & Tequilla Bar,
- the Chickie's and Pete's Crab House and Sports Bar,
- the Fiesta Buffet,
- Hooters Atlantic City,
- Marketplace Express,
- Perry's Pizza,
- the Ri Ra Irish Pub,
- the Seaside Cafe,
- the Bar at Fin,
- the Tony Luke's Atlantic City.
There are also some fast food places available:
- the Dam Good Deli,
- the Broadwalk Favorites Ice Cream Shop,
- the Goyogo,
- Mrs. Fields,
- the Zeytinia Gourmet Food & Marketplace.
You can find several entertainment and leisure facilities at the establishment as well:
- a theatre,
- an IMAX cinema,
- an arcade,
- many bars (10 North Lounge, Anthem, Boogie Nights, Chickies & Petes, Firewaters, Missile Bar, Providence, Planet Rose Karaoke Bar, Tango's Lounge and Wet Willie's),
- a shopping centre,
- a hair dresser,
- a spa (Bluemercury Spa),
- a fitness centre (Atlanticare Lifecenter Fitness),
- two swimming pools (one indoors and one outdoors).
In conclusion, I can say that the Tropicana Casino & Resort Atlantic City is an excellent complex in the city. I agree, it is a bit old and a renovation would not hurt, but, it still offers their visitors a maximum of services and fun. It is almost like you are in Las Vegas! The casino itself is massive and offers many different games, and very attractive payout rates for video poker. In short, this is a very good place to visit!