Casino review / Rio Klerksdorp
01 May 2002
The town of Klerksdrop is located in the north-western province of South Africa which is one of the economic and agricultural centres of the whole region, thanks to the discovery of gold in the 1880s. It has several sights, such as an interesting museum in a former prison, the Dutch reformed church Nederduitch Hervormde Church and an old cemetery where soldiers and civilians have died during the Boer War.
There is also a large casino: the famous Rio Casino that has a very interesting theme - that of the famous carnival in Rio. It is not the only casino in South Africa that has this theme, but this casino in particular is one of the nicest, and it can compete with one of the casinos in Las Vegas or Macau. The experience the casino offers is one to be discovered!
A dynamic and extravagant casino
The Rio Casino in Klerksdrop is probably one of the smallest casinos in the whole of South Africa, but quality prevails over quantity - and it is not just the casino that is nice and makes a visit worthwhile. The establishment is open 7 days a week and can be accessed by adults over the age of 18 upon presenting a valid ID.
The slot machines
The slot machines room of the Rio Casino in Klerksdrop is open 24 hours, 7 days a week. There are over 270 devices, including:
- traditional slot machines with mechanical reels,
- latest generation video slots with digital screens,
- video poker in many different variants,
- games with progressive jackpots.
The table games
If you want to play traditional table games you have to wait until the lounge opens. The games are available Monday to Friday from 12 pm, and from 11 am on weekends. There are a dozen tables with the following games:
There are also two tables where you can play texas hold'em poker against other players. There is also a series of tournaments on Sunday. These games are very popular with the players, a lot more than those during the week. They start at 3 pm and have a buy-in of 500R.
Many other things to do
The casino also offers many other services in addition to this relatively small game selection, which is a little too small, considering the size of the casino. As already mentioned in the introduction: the Rio Casino in Klerksdrop is worthy of those in Las Vegas or Macau, and there are many other things to be done. You can find out what the casino has to offer in the next paragraphs.
If you like to stay overnight you can stay in the hotel of the establishment. The Peermont Metcourt Hotel is one of the nicest hotels the city. It has 70 rooms and suites, including:
- 30 classic rooms with 2 twin beds,
- 20 classic rooms with 1 king size bed,
- 10 superior rooms with 2 twin beds,
- 5 superior rooms with 1 king size bed,
- 4 executive suites with 1 king size bed,
- 1 special assistance room.
All rooms have very nice lighting that further enhances the sleep and contemporary design of the rooms that also feature Brazilian-style murals.
You can also find these other amenities in the hotel:
- the FLAG Cafe restaurant,
- a small bar next to it,
- a relaxation lounge,
- a swimming pool with a nice terrace,
- beautiful landscaped gardens.
You have the following options for dining :
- the Karamba Grillhouse that offers a fine selection of South African meats and specialties and is open Monday to Saturday from 9 am to 10 pm, and also from 12 pm to 10 pm on Sundays,
- the FLAG Cafe that has a contemporary atmosphere where you can enjoy a delicious breakfast buffet every day from 6.30 am to 11 am and a lunch on Sunday from 12 pm to 3 pm,
- the Moon Bar that has a colourful design and offers a spectacular selection of cocktails and a menu with snacks. It is open Sunday to Wednesday from 11 am to 11 pm and from Thursday to Sunday from 11 am to 2.
You can visit the following facilities for entertainment:
- a theatre (The Escapades Theatre) with a capacity of 450 seats,
- a go karting race rack,
- an arcade (Fantasia Game Arcade) which is open from 11 am to midnight,
- a children's play area which is open from 11 am to midnight.
In short, I like the Rio Casino in Klerksdrop. Although it not one of the largest casinos in South Africa it is one of the nicest thanks to the perfectly implemented theme. Although the game selection is a little small you can find all the classics here and have a good time.
By car : N12 Treasure route.
By plane : O.R. Tambo Airport.
Slot machines: 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Table games: Monday to Friday from 12 pm, and from 11 am on weekends.