Casino review / Galaxy Macau
01 Jan 2011
The Galaxy on the legendary Cotai Strip in Macau opened their doors on May 15, 2011. To date, it was the most ambitious project undertaken by the Galaxy Entertainment Group. It was built for a whopping 1.9 billion dollars, on an area covering more than 500,000 m², and offers 6 hotels, over 50 restaurants, the largest swimming pool in Macau and one of the best casinos in the city. In short, this is a resort that you should really check out. The best is that it is likely to reach or even exceed your expectations. That I can guarantee you!
A huge games room
There is no doubt about it: the Galaxy has the largest casino in the city. This long rectangular room seems to be never ending, and it is a landmark of design. Although we must say that some design elements have simply been copied from the Wynn, such as the chandeliers and curtains, but everything is much more open and brighter, and there are only a few parts of the room that are divided into smaller areas.
The best of these is the Pavilion VIP section located in the middle of the games room. It was inspired by a traditional Chinese pavilion and is slightly elevated. The Pavilion impresses with crystal chandeliers and a ceiling that is decorated with coloured glass.
The slot machines
Slot machine enthusiasts will probably love that the Galaxy offers no less than 1,200 devices with bets starting from $0.02 to $10.
You can also enjoy electronic versions of classic casino games, such as:
- craps from $5,
- blackjack from $10,
- baccarat from $30,
- roulette from $30,
- sic bo from $30,
- fish prawn crab from $10.
However, there are no video poker games.
The table games
In the centre of the huge games room are also around 250 traditional game tables, most of which have very high minimum bets starting from $300 to $500. You can play:
- commission free baccarat,
- wheel of fortune,
- Caribbean stud poker,
- fan tan,
- sic bo,
- casino war.
In short, we can play most classic casino games, but not pai gow or three card poker. Unfortunately, there is also no poker room. Otherwise, the Galaxy casino impresses with its decor, its atmosphere, its size and variety of games. It is undoubtedly one of the best gaming rooms in Macau!
A destination of choice at Cotai
The Galaxy has an exceptional casino, but this is definitely not the only advantage that attracts customers. Of all the establishments in Macao that I visited, it stands out as one of the most nicest ones to spend your days, as it is very pleasant, and the staff are always smiling and ready to answer your questions.
6 different hotels
The complex has 6 different hotels on their premises:
- the Galaxy (a luxurious 5-star hotel with 1,500 contemporary designed rooms offering a stunning view of the city) ,
- the Okura (a superb example of tradition and modernity at the famous Japanese channel),
- the Banyan Tree (a beautiful resort with unique suites of the famous Thai brand),
- the Ritz-Carlton (an impressive palace with over 250 suites that stands out as one of the best hotels in Macao),
- the Marriott (an elegant haven of luxury with 1,015 rooms offering beautiful views of the Cotai Resort and the Grand Resort Deck),
- the Broadway (a comfortable 5-star hotel with 320 contemporary rooms offering panoramic views of the Pearl River Delta facing the island of Hengqin).
Many restaurants and bars and cafes
It is no surprise, that with such a variety of hotels you can also expect a huge variety of restaurants. The Galaxy has more than 50 restaurants offering various cuisines:
- Chinese (Okura 28F Chinese Restaurant, Fook Lam Moon, Pak Loh Chiu Chow Restaurant, The Noodle Kitchen, Man Ho Chinese Restaurant, Hang Heong Un, Ba Shan Spicy Noodles, Nan Xiang Steamed Bun Restaurant, Tim Ho Wan, The Dim-sum Specialists and Huo Gong Dian),
- Cantonese (Laurel, Jin Yue Xuan, Lai Heen, Fong Seng Lai Kei Restaurant, Hou Choi Seafood and Chinese Fondue Restaurant, Xin Dau Ji, Xie Cheng Seafood & Hotpot Restaurant and Lei Ka Choi),
- Hong Kong (Hong Kong Gold Medal Seafood Hot Pot),
- Taiwanese (Lugang Cafe and Du Hsiao Yueh),
- Korean (Myung Ga and KFooD Express),
- Singaporean (Katong Corner),
- Thai (Saffron and Thai Chiu),
- Japanese (Yamazato, Nagomi Lobby Bar and Lounge, Okura All Day Dining, Senkizen and Chi Sasa Japanese Cuisine),
- Asian (Tastes of Asia, Wong Kun Sio Kung, Tsui Wah Restaurant, Broadway Kitchen, Ving Kei Tao Fu Min Sek, Wa Sang Hong, San Ma Lo Seng Kei Chok Pan, Chi Kei Ngao Chap, Pepper Lunch, Hung's Delicacies and Ngau Ngau),
- Portuguese (Gosto and Dragon Portuguese Cuisine),
- Italian (Terrazza Italian Restaurant, 8½ Otto e Mezzo BOMBANA and Spaghetti House),
- International (Festiva, Belon, Urban Kitchen and Upper One).
You can also find :
- cafés (The Ritz-Carlton Café, Pacific Coffee, Breeze Café, 2/3 Dolci, The Lounge, Starbucks Coffee and Banyan Lounge),
- bars (The Ritz-Carlton Pool Bar, The Ritz-Carlton Bar & Lounge, The Lounge, Pool Bar at JW Marriott, The Macallan Whisky Bar & Lounge, Cabana at Banyan Tree, Surf Bar, Upper Lounge and The Roadhouse Macau),
- patisseries (Cascades, Tsui Wah, Home’s Favourite and I Son),
- an ice cream parlor (Häagen-Dazs),
- fast food (McDonald’s, Quick Rich and KFC).
A great selection of activities
In addition to gambling, eating and sleeping, you can also enjoy many other things at the Galaxy, among them:
- a theatre (Broadway Theatre),
- a cinema (UA Galaxy Cinemas)
- a private club (China Rouge),
- a shopping centre (The Promenade) that has over 200 shops on 9.000 m²,
- a spa (Banyan Tree Spa)
- two massage salons (ESPA Macau and Foot Hub),
- an impressive swimming pool (Grand Resort Deck).
In conclusion, I can only recommend you discover the Galaxy for yourself. It is an impressive resort, and one of the best in Macau. It is absolutely beautiful, and offers a wide selection of activities. The many hotels give you a good choice where you want to sleep.
As for the casino, it is regrettable, that there is no video poker games or a poker room, but these games are generally not very common in Asia. The casino is open and bright, and this huge games room should impress more than one player. I must admit that I was completely overwhelmed. This is undoubtedly one of the best places to play casino games on the Cotai.