Casino review / Excalibur Las Vegas
MGM Resorts International
01 Jan 1990
There are many mediocre casino hotels on the Strip, and the Excalibur is one of them. It is located southwest in the city, at the intersection of Las Vegas Boulevard and Tropicana Avenue. The resort has a medieval theme that is loosely based on the legend of King Arthur.
It is not necessarily a bad hotel but everything is a little too cardboard-like for my taste. It must be said that it mainly targets visitors with smaller budgets, especially those wishing to bring their children with them. On the lower level is a nice area called Fun Dungeon with an entertaining arcade.
The resort is not one that should be missed though, as it is not a bad destination for families with a relatively tight budget. However, compared to the more prestigious resorts there is absolutely nothing speaking for this resort in terms of the low price, and I prefer the Monte Carlo instead.
An ideal casino
Let us start this review by focusing on the games room of the Excalibur. The size of this room is 9,300 m², which is the perfect size for me: it is big enough to offer a wide range of games, but not too big. However, the interior decoration appears to be a little too cheap.
As it is always the case in Las Vegas, access to the casino is open to everyone. However, if you want to play you must be 21 years or older.
The slot machines
The Excalibur casino offers no fewer than 1,400 slot machine devices from 1 cent to $100, and you can find:
- slot machines (mechanical, video slots, progressive games...),
- video poker (jacks or better, joker poker, deuces wild...),
- video keno,
- an electronic roulette game.
The table games
With regards to the traditional games, we can find more than 80 tables, among them are:
- American roulette,
- pai gow poker,
- big six,
- three card poker,
- crazy 4 poker,
- texas hold-em bonus,
- let it ride.
There is also an area dedicated to poker located in the heart of the casino. It is not really a separate poker room, but there are 12 non-smoking tables dedicated to Texas Hold'em, Omaha and seven card stud poker.
The race & sports book area
On the other hand, the room dedicated to sports betting has 13 tables, 25 cabins, 68 seats, a very large screen, 12 large screens and 12 smaller screens. You can bet on:
- American football (pro & college),
- basketball (pro & college),
- martial arts (UFC and MMA),
- horse racing.
Other services of the resort
In addition to the casino, the Las Vegas Excalibur offers many other services to their visitors. Of course, there is a hotel, as well as many restaurants, but also different attractions for the whole family.
An affordable hotel
When the resort opened in 1990, they had the largest hotel in the world, with a total of 4,008 rooms. Although this capacity was surpassed three years later, the establishment still remains one of the largest. You can stay in:
- a contemporary room,
- a tower room,
- a guest suite.
Overall, the different rooms are quite spacious, clean and equipped with a large bathroom. Unfortunately, they are rather old. The carpets and tapestries are outdated and worn out. In short, a refurbishment would not hurt. However, all this is still acceptable, especially as the prices for the rooms are very low.
Multiple restaurants for everyone
If you want to dine at the Excalibur, you have a choice of a dozen restaurants. Again, the establishment is not in the high-end brands, and offers a more casual and affordable selection. You can find:
- The Steakhouse at Camelot specialising in beef and sea food,
- Buca di Beppo dedicated to Italian cuisine,
- Dick's Last Resort that offers original cuisine in a zany decor,
- Johnny Rockets dedicated to typical American cuisine,
- The Buffet with a wide choice of original dishes from around the world,
- Baja Fresh that specializes in Mexican cuisine,
- Drenched Cafe at the Pool that offers a nice range of burgers and pizza.
It is also possible to eat at a fast food place :
- Auntie Anne's Pretzels,
- Hot Dog on a Stick,
- Krispy Kreme,
- Pick Up Stix,
- Popeyes Chicken,
- Pizza Hut Express,
- Schlotzsky's Deli,
- Tropical Smoothie Cafe,
- Big Chill.
Many activities for young and adult guests
Of course, just like everywhere else on the Strip, there are also many other things to do at the Excalibur. You can enjoy:
- a particularly beautiful and pleasant swimming pool,
- a spa and a gym of 1200 m² (The Royal Treatment Spa & Fitness Center),
- a wedding chapel (Canterbury Wedding Chapel),
- three permanent shows Tournament of Kings (medieval fighting), Thunder from Down Under (male striptease) and The Australian Bee Gees Show (Bee Gees tribute group),
- four bars (Octane Lounge, The Lounge at Excalibur, Lobby Bar and Sports Bar),
- an arcade (Fun Dungeon) with more than 150 games,
- a shopping centre.
In conclusion, I would like to say that I am not necessarily a fan of this hotel casino, but it is still a good establishment and it has several undeniable advantages.
The prices are truly affordable, which is very good overall. There is also the casino, that in my opinion, has an ideal size, and an excellent arcade that allows to relax between games of blackjack or roulette. The decor and theme are also very friendly, but a little too cardboard-like. It is very simple, and not very elegant. However, it should appeal to many children. The Excalibur mostly targets families with a relatively tight budget and, in this context, it is undoubtedly a big success. If you do not have children, or care too much about how much money you spend, it is not necessarily the best address for you. Otherwise, you will probably enjoy the resort.