Casino review / Christchurch
01 Jan 1994
The city of Chirstchuch (or Otautachi in Maori) is located north of the Banks Peninsula, near the southern tip of Pegasus Bay, is the second most populous city in New Zealand, the largest of the South Island, and the regional capital of Canterbury. It is also known as Garden City, as it offers a large number of parks and botanical gardens. The magnificent Hagley Park and a huge botanical garden are located in the centre, and the city offers many things to do. It is possible to learn about the Maori culture in the Ko Tane Maori Village, but you can also go skiing in the surrounding mountains or swim at different beaches. There is even a famous glacier called Tasman that you can visit by boat. If you want to be entertained and try your luck at money games you can also visit the casino in the city. But what does the casino offer? This is the question that I'm going to answer in the rest of this review.
A nice game selection
The casino is open Monday to Thursday from 11 am to 3 am, and around the clock from Friday to Sunday. you can enjoy a large and very bright games room with a classy and modern design. It stretches over 4,000 m² and is accessible to anyone aged 20 years or above. When entering the casino, it is also important to present a valid piece of ID.
The slot machines
The slot machines room at the Christchurch Casino will spoil you for choice. There are over 500 devices accepting bets from 1 cent to $2. Among these you can find:
- games where you can win large progressive jackpots,
- traditional slot machines with mechanical reels,
- latest generation video slots with digital screens,
- video poker games,
- an electronic roulette.
The table games
The traditional games selection is just as nice, and you can find over 30 tables with the following games:
- Caribbean stud poker,
- lunar poker,
- wheel of fortune,
- tai sai,
- three card poker.
There is also a nice poker room which is open every day from 6 pm. You can compete against other players in regular tournaments and also participate in cash games, such as:
- no limit hold'em with a buy-in of $75 - $200 and blinds of $1/$2,
- no limit hold'em with a buy-in of $200 - $500 and blinds of $2/$5,
- no limit hold'em / pot limit omaha rotational with a buy-in of $100 - $300 and blinds of $1/$2,
- pot limit omaha with a buy-in of $100 - $300 and blinds of $1/$2,
- no limit hold'em / pot limit omaha with a buy-in of $300 - $500 and blinds of $5/$5,
- pot limit omaha with a buy-in of $300 - $500 and blinds of $5/$5.
Restaurants and bars
Players will definitely not be bored at the Christchurch Casino, as the establishment offers a large game selection with all types of games. It is only to be expected that the games are not the only thing the casino has to offer, and with so many of them, they also need to provide a space for the players to relax and take a break. Fortunately, the casino offers some great places where you can relax, have a drink or a bite, and enjoy a nice atmosphere.
You can visit the following gastronomy establishments:
- the Grand Café which is a fantastic snack bar,
- the Chi Kitchen that offers Chinese cuisine,
- the Monza Sport Bar that offers you some of the greatest dishes on the planet,
- the Mashina Lounge which is the perfect place to enjoy a cocktail,
- the Valley Bar which is located in the centre of the games room.
On one hand, taking a break from the games at the Christchurch Casino is not a problem, as outlined in the paragraph above, but on the other hand, it is impossible to stay overnight at the establishment, as it does not offer any means of accommodation. Fortunately, this is not a really big problem, as there are many hotels nearby in the city. These include:
- the CentrePoint on Colombo,
- the Hotel Montreal,
- The George,
- the Crown Plaza Hotel Christchurch.
In short, the Christchurch Casino is a very nice casino that offers great diversity in bars and restaurants and a very large and varied game selection. It is one of the best places in the whole city to play and spend a good evening at!
By plane : International Airport of Christchurch.
Monday to Thursday from 11 am to 3 am, and around the clock from Friday to Sunday.