Review written by Sophie Couard, October 13, 2015.
There are many famous casinos in Las Vegas. Among them there is one that stands out a bit more than others. I am of course talking about the famous - no, legendary Caesars Palace! It is not necessarily the best, the biggest, nor the most impressive resort at the strip, but it has been, and will be for a long time, the most iconic symbol of the city, and surely one of the most legendary casinos worldwide. In the following paragraphs below we will see why the establishment has earned their outstanding reputation.
12.000 m² for slots and traditional games, and a 420 m² poker room
As we are all casino players, I will start this review about the Caesars Palace in Las Vegas by speaking about the impressive selection of games on 12,000 m² that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The slot machines
The selection of slot machines is massive, and you can find:
- traditional mechanical slot machines,
- video slots,
- video poker,
- video blackjack,
- video keno,
- electronic American roulettes.
Whether you are a cautious player with a smaller budget or a high roller, you can play from only 1 cent up to $500 per game!
Fans of gigantic progressive jackpots should also be happy to hear that the casino offers one the highest prize pools in the world, which is over 1 million dollar!
As you might expect, the range of traditional games is also impressive, and you can find different tables:
- spanish 21,
- American roulette,
- mini baccarat,
- pai gow poker (with cards),
- pai gow (with tiles),
- three card poker.
Outside the games 12,000 m² games hall with the slot machines and traditional games, we can also find a beautiful 420 m² poker room, that has 16 tables that are available every day 24 hours 7 days a week.
These game areas are accessible to all customers, regardless of age. This means that there is no control at the entrance. However, only adults (who are over 21 years old in the US) can touch and play at the slot machines and tables. Security guards ensure that this is the case.
A city within the city
Obviously, Caesars Palace is not only about gambling. Like all other establishments at the famous Las Vegas Strip, it offers a wide range of activities.
Over 3,000 hotel rooms
The beautiful hotel is spread over 5 towers. It offers 3,349 spacious, clean rooms, worthy of a palace, with superb bedding, silent air conditioning and a complete bathroom. The staff is also very friendly and pleasant.
If I can give you any advice, I would suggest you get a room overlooking the Strip, for example in the Augustus tower. They are very nice, but also more expensive. I especially love the Octavius suite that is very large, and offers great views of the Eiffel Tower of the Paris Las Vegas. I can only recommend it to you!
I appreciate the fact that many people want to stay at Caesars Palace. However, although sleeping there is very pleasant, it is mostly the food that attracts most people.
An impressive buffet
Despite the very strong competition in Las Vegas, the establishment has managed to offer the best buffet in town (and maybe even the world): the famous Bacchanale Buffet, which offers no less than 500 different dishes that are inspired by culinary traditions from around the globe.
A great high class selection
Caesars Palace offers various prestigious restaurants if you are willing to pay good money for an exceptional meal:
- the Nobu Japanese Restaurant specialised in Japanese and teppan cuisine,
- the Old Homestead Steakhouse offering traditional cuisine from the east coast, including lobster, calamari and Kobe beef,
- the Rao's dedicated to the culinary traditions of southern Italy,
- the Messa Grill offering traditional dishes of south-western United States,
- the In-Room Dining Events for snacks, breakfast, lunch or dinner that is sent directly to your room,
- the Guy Savoy offering a menu inspired by the legendary Parisian restaurant of the famous French chef.
More casual options
Of course, it is also possible to visit a less prestigious restaurant, but this does not mean that the quality is bad, quite the contrary. You can find:
- the Gordon Ramsay Pub & Grill of the famous Scottish chef,
- the Searsucker Las Vegas in American retro atmosphere,
- the Beijing Noodle No. 9 with impressive Chinese specialties,
- the Serendipity 3 for a dinner atmosphere,
- the Payard Patisserie & Bistro inspired by French café-brasserie,
- the Cafe Americano with classic American cuisine that has a Latin touch.
A lot of fast food
For impatient people, or those who do not want to spend too much money or time on food, there is also a wide variety of fast food in the Forum Food Court:
- sandwich shops (Smashburger and Earl of Sandwich),
- an ice-cream place (Graeter's),
- a pizza place (DiFara Pizza),
- an Asian restaurant (Tiger Wok & Ramen),
- a sea food restaurant (Phillips Seafood Express),
- a Mexican restaurant (La Gloria).
A huge activity centre
Play, eat and sleep is already a very good program, don't you think? However, the Caesars Palace also offers many other services and activities. It is a little crazy to think about everything you can do in this establishment in Las Vegas, and you should see it for yourself. You can find:
- the mythical Colosseum theatre which offers spectacular shows, such as the famous Absinthe or Celine Dion concerts,
- the Color Salon of star hair stylist Michael Boychuck,
- two commercial shopping centres (The Forum Shops that have large fashion brands, such as Louis Vuitton, Versace, Giorgio Armani, Valentino and Gucci, but also the Appian Way Shops with jewellery shops, gourmet food shops, cigar shops, etc),
- the Garden of the Gods Pool Oasis which has 7 huge pools surrounded by huge columns that remind of ancient Rome,
- many wedding chapels,
- two golf courses located a few minutes away from the hotel,
- a spa,
- a vibrant nightlife in the Omnia nightclub and half a dozen bars that are open all night.
A great establishment that is conveniently located
As you can see, there are many reasons that drive people to go to Caesars Palace. However, they do not necessarily explain why the establishment is legendary today, more than other resorts at the Strip that offer similar services. There are also other reasons why Caesars Palace is so legendary.
A unique atmosphere
The casino was inaugurated in 1966, making it one of the oldest casino hotels in Las Vegas that are currently in operation. It already had a very unique atmosphere at the time, which was quite original in the city.
The operator Jay Sarno wanted the hotel to use the name of Julius Caesar combined with a royal design. He then named it Caesars Palace (palace for Caesars) as opposed to Caesar's Palace (palace of Caesar). He wanted the establishment to be available to all customers, and not just to Julius Caesar.
The hotel is inspired by a Roman theme. This means that we can find many Romanesque statutes scattered around the buildings, and architecture that is reminiscent of ancient Rome. Everything is very beautiful and stunning, although it still not equal to some of the other newer resorts, such as the Venetian.
Sport events and movies
Since the 80s, the hotel has also been a place to host some of the major sporting events. It hosted the Las Vegas Grand Prix in 1981 and 1982 on the parking lot, which was part of the Formula 1 world championship. After this, the hotel became a Mecca for boxing. It also hosted a hockey game of the National League in 1991 and a famous wrestling tournament organized by the WWE in 1993.
The casino has also served as a filming location for many films and series, among them Rain Man, Mars Attacks!, Friends, Iron Man and The Hangover.
At the centre of the Strip
All the reasons I just mentioned explain why Caesars Palace has become so legendary, but there is also another: its location. The establishment is located in the centre of the Strip and surrounded by other legendary resorts, such as Treasure Island, The Venetian, Flamingo, the Bellagio and Bally's. When staying at this hotel, you will be able to walk to most of the best attractions of the Las Vegas Boulevard.
In conclusion, I can say that Caesars Palace is the best of the best! I cannot imagine anyone in Vegas that does not go there at least once, whether to play, to eat (especially for the gigantic buffet which I highly recommend), for entertaining, or just to go sightseeing. You can appreciate the monumental Roman architecture, it would be a shame not to enjoy it, don't you think?
The hotel is also excellent, but not necessarily better than other resorts at the Strip. The rooms are not the cheapest around, but the location of the hotel is ideal.
The casino is comparable to other casinos in Las Vegas, and there are many. It is not necessarily my favourite casino, but it is still very nice!