Review written by Sophie Couard, on April 27, 2016.
Adelaide is the fifth most populous city in Australia. It is located In the south, near the sea, on the shore of St. Vincent Gulf, north of the Fleurieu Peninsula, and west of the chain of Mount Lofty. The city is the seat of the government of the State of South Australia, and has many large shopping centres, as well as many government and financial institutions.
The city is surrounded by beautiful parks, and has many interesting sites to visit, such as the Rundle Street shopping street (which is still the largest mall in the southern hemisphere), the historical buildings of North Terrace, the trendy district of North Adelaide, the urban beaches of Glenelg or Henley. There are also some interesting religious buildings, such as the church of the Holy Trinity and the Scottish church, as well as a prestigious botanical garden that is often considered to be the most beautiful in the country.
There is also a large casino, the Skycity Casino in Adelaide, and you can find out more about it in the following paragraphs of this review about the casino.
An excellent casino
The casino is located inside an old heritage-listed building in the Adelaide station. It welcomes you with an absolutely gorgeous marble lobby, and it is designed in an elegant European style. The casino is spread over two floors, and is open 24 hours on 7 days a week. It can be accessed by everyone over the age of 18 years.
The slot machines
Fans of slot machines will be happy to hear that there are many games available. You can find over 1,000 devices of the following types:
- games where you can win a progressive jackpot, such as the famous Skyhigh and Lightning Link,
- traditional slot machines with mechanical reels,
- latest generation video slots with digital screens,
- video poker games,
- multi-game devices,
- electronic roulette games,
- electronic baccarat games.
The table games
Those players who prefer traditional table games will also not have any trouble finding a place at one of the over 90 tables with the following games:
- Caribbean stud,
- casino war,
- wheel of fortune,
- texas hold'em bonus.
Poker fans will be able to challenge each other in a beautiful room where they cannot only play Texas Hold'em and Omaha, but also Manila, and Crazy Pineapple poker in cash games with buy-ins from $40 to $2,000. There are also various tournaments organised throughout the week.
Sports fans will also appreciate that the casino allows you to bet on many different competitions. This can be done in the small race and sports betting area that is equipped with a few terminals where you can place your bets. You can also watch the games on screens. It is not a very large area, but it is there, and it is very comfortable too, so this is better than nothing.
Dining and drinking
Obviously, you can play casino games at the Skycity Casino in Adelaide, but you can also do other things. If you want to rest and take a break between the games, you can visit different bars and restaurants. Unfortunately, the establishment does not have a hotel, so you will have to stay somewhere else overnight.
You are spoilt for choice when it comes to dining in the complex. You can find the following restaurants:
- inspired by New York diners (Sean's Kitchen),
- offering French and Vietnamese fusion cuisine (Madame Hanoi),
- open 24 hours, 7 days a week (Barossa Cafe),
- a self-service buffet (Fortuna Buffet),
- for snacks (Cafe Junction).
You can have a drink, dance or party at the following bars:
- the Chandelier Bar that has a classic atmosphere,
- the Grandstand Sports Bar where you can watch important matches on gigantic screens,
- the Oasis that has a very nice terrace,
- the Backyard Bar that is the perfect place to enjoy a beer with picturesque views of the sea.
Although you can dine and drink at the Skycity Casino in Adelaide, it is impossible to stay there overnight, as the facility has no hotel. Fortunately, there are many hotels in the city, and the following hotels are located near the casino:
- the Mercure Grosvenor Hotel Adelaide **** starting from €77 per night,
- the Stamford Plaza Adelaide ***** starting from €110 per night,
- the Oaks Horizon **** starting from €113 per night,
- the Inter Continental Adelaide ***** starting from €146 per night.
In short, it is not the most impressive casino in Australia, and it cannot really compete with the prestigious complexes in Las Vegas or Macau. However, the Skycity Casino in Adelaide still has a lot to offer. It is relatively large and offers many interesting bars and restaurants. The actual casino features a large and varied game selection, and the building itself is worth to be looked at. I can certainly recommend you visit the casino!
By car : Motorway A21.
By train : Adelaide Railway Station is a few steps away.
By plane : International airport of Adelaide.
24 hours, 7 days a week