Review written by Sophie Couard, April 11, 2016.
The Casino Wien is located in the centre of the Austrian capital Vienna, right next to the Opera. The establishment is perhaps not very large nor particularly exuberant, as you cannot find the glitz or glamour here that prevails in Las Vegas, but this is exactly what I like about this casino: the typical Viennese character. The establishment offers you the opportunity to enjoy a different type of glamour, which is more old school and more tasteful. Many people seem to visit the place to spend a special and elegant evening as an alternative to the opera, ballet or a concert. There is also a relatively strict dress code, that is respected by the players.
The casino is located in a former 15th century palace with an elegant yellow and white facade typical of 18th century Vienna. Unfortunately, a lot of the interior was destroyed by a fire in the 1960s, but you can still admire some elements of the original decoration, such as the murals in the piano bar. The property was also fully renovated after the fire. It is now designed and furnished in a traditional Viennese style with high ceilings and stucco walls. It really is a beautiful place that adds some extra soul to the games!
Let me now talk about the games rooms in this beautiful establishment. So, what can you expect to find here? There are two distinct areas in the establishment that are accessible only to adults over 18 years, and admission is free of charge.
The ground floor houses the Jackpot Café with a casual dress code. It is open every day from 11 am to 4 am and offers more than 100 slot machines and four table games.
The Classic Casino is located on the second and third floor, and there you can find more than a dozen traditional table games and many slot machines. It is open every day from 3 pm to 4 am. This room has a stricter dress code.
You can enter the second casino when you take the large marble staircase at the entrance of the casino. The atmosphere there is a lot more elegant. The place is furnished like an old Viennese tea room with a dark green carpet, heavy mahogany furniture and a lot of emphasis has been put on small ornamental details. There are several niches with small corner tables and comfortable chairs where you can sit for a drink, a smoke or relax. You will feel immediately like you have been transported into a bourgeois salon of the 19th century where ladies and gentlemen are being entertained.
Both casinos offer the possibility to smoke, although there is also a small non-smoking area on the second floor, which is enclosed with glass. Also note that is also the case here in this casino, like it is in the other casinos in Austria, that you can buy €25 in tokens for only €23 or €30 in tokens for €27.
The slot machines
You can find 117 devices at the Jackpot Café and 128 at the Classic Casino. Among them are:
- mechanical slot machines,
- video slot machines,
- video poker,
- electronic roulette games,
- games with a progressive jackpot (such as the popular Mega Million Jackpot).
The table games
You can find 22 tables with traditional games.
In the Jackpot Café are:
- an American roulette available from 11 am,
- a blackjack available from 12.15 pm,
- two American roulette tables available from 1 pm.
Tables in the Classic Casino are available from 3 pm:
- a table with French roulette,
- four tables with American roulette,
- one table with double roulette,
- five tables with blackjack,
- one table with blackjack x-change,
- one table with blackjack vegas,
- one table with easy hold'em,
- one table with tropical stud poker,
- three tables with Macau baccarat.
Eating and drinking
You can also visit a few bars besides the two excellent casinos:
- the Street Cafe which is open only from April to October,
- the Bar at the Jackpot Cafe,
- the Cercle Bar at the first floor,
- the Salon Bar at the second floor.
Unfortunately, there is only one restaurant. It is simply called Casino Restaurant Wien and invites you to enjoy fine cuisine in a comfortable and luxurious atmosphere. All dishes from chef James Fergueson originate from traditional Viennese cuisine and are being reinterpreted with an international touch. For example, you can choose a 4-course menu for €38 or the dinner & casino offer for €58, which includes a glass of bubbly and €25 in casino chips.
Three partner hotel-restaurants
There are not many things to do besides gambling, but the Casino Wien has three hotels with restaurants nearby. These are:
- the Designhotel Das Triest that has a pretty garden, elegant rooms, a gourmet restaurant (Bristol Lounge) and a legendary bar,
- the Hotel Am Parkring that has spacious rooms with impressing views of Vienna, as well as an excellent restaurant (Das Schick),
- the Hotel Erzherzog Rainer that offers you the opportunity to enjoy the charm of Vienna in their cosy rooms and their restaurant (Wiener Wirtschaft), which offers traditional Austrian cuisine.
I think, after reading this review you will understand why I love the Casino in Vienna. It has a fantastic upscale atmosphere, and I also like the idea of playing in a sophisticated and relaxed atmosphere. A positive point is that the game selection is very nice and everything is of high quality. Overall, this is a wonderful casino!
Karlsplatz : U1/U2/U4
Oper : Linie 1, 2, D, 71, 59A, Badner Bahn, WLB
Stephansplatz : U1/U3
Nightline Oper : N46, N49, N62, N71, N75
Jackpot Cafe : every day from 11 am to 4 am.
Classic Casino : every day from 3 pm to 4 am.