Review written by Sophie Couard, November 26, 2015.
The New York New York in Las Vegas is a very nice hotel-casino on the Strip!
However, it is not my favourite casino that was inspired by a famous city. The interior is much less impressive than that of the Venetian, and it has even more cardboard than the Paris hotel.
I am not saying that the establishment is not worth it, this is far from the truth, and as I said in the first sentence, I really like this resort. What's not to like? There are replicas of narrow streets and houses, the Statue of Liberty, the Brooklyn Bridge and an excellent roller coaster!
In my opinion, it is simply the fact that the establishment has not changed much since its inauguration in 1997, and it sort of remained the same, which as that time was great. But nothing takes away the undeniable charm or the colourful atmosphere of this excellent hotel-casino in Las Vegas.
A relatively small games room for a casino on the Strip
Without wasting another minute, I will now start writing about the main point of interest for us players: the New York New York casino, which is 7,800 m² large, and not one of the biggest on the Strip. However, this size is appropriate, as it is large enough to keep the attention of the customers, but not too large to make players feel overwhelmed.
The slot machines
The establishment features over 1,700 slot machines, accepting a wide variety of denominations. You can play classic games, such as:
- Wheel of Fortune,
- Jackpot Party,
- Blazing 7's,
- Top Dollar,
Let me give you a little advice for video poker: these games are really only suitable for players who prefer machines with minimum bets above $5, as all the other machines do not have favourable payout tables.
All devices are located in a large room with a high ceiling, that also has a New York theme. This is different from many other casinos on the Las Vegas Strip that tend to offer an average casino and a less exciting atmosphere.
The table games
As for the traditional games, you can find 67 tables with bets starting from $10 to $2000. The following games are available:
- American roulette,
- mini baccarat,
- let it ride,
- big six,
- three card poker,
- texas hold'em bonus,
- crazy 4 poker.
However, unfortunately there is no poker room in the establishment, which may displease many lovers of this game.
The Race & Sports Book space
The New York New York also has a small area for sport and race betting, more specifically for the following disciplines:
- American Football (Pro and College),
- Basketball (Pro and College),
- Football (Premier League, Champions League and International),
- Car races,
- Martial Arts,
- Female Basketball,
In short, the establishment offers a range of games that is varied enough to please most players, despite the relatively small games areas, and the lack of a poker room. You should also keep in mind that you can access all games areas, regardless of age. However, in order to play or bet, it is necessary to be over the age of 21, as this is the law in the US.
A great range of additional services
As always with the resorts at the Las Vegas Strip, the New York New York is not just a simple casino. The establishment also offers its customers a wide range of additional services aside from gambling.
A hotel that is good value for money
The hotel has a total of 2,024 rooms, among them are:
- Park Avenue Rooms of 32 m²,
- Madison Avenue Deluxe Rooms of 37 m²,
- Spa Suites of 46 m²,
- Marquis Suites of 65 m²,
- Players Suites of 65 à 74 m²,
- 1 Bedroom Luxury Suites of 102 m²,
- Penthouses of 102 m².
The rooms are all very large and equipped with a very comfortable bed and a nice bathroom. The advantage of this hotel is that the room rate is relatively low compared to other more luxurious hotels, such as the Bellagio or the Wynn in particular. In short, the value for money is excellent.
However, I expected to sleep in a New York style atmosphere, and this is actually not the case at all. There is no particular decor or theme in the room. It is not ugly, and not all rooms are the same, but they are nice and basic.
If you want to enjoy the atmosphere of the Big Apple, you will have to go outside and admire the replicas of the Brooklyn Bridge and the Statue of Liberty, or just the general appearance of the establishment that resembles a selection of joined skyscrapers. It is also nice to stroll through the shopping mall that is made of classic New York street replicas, and looks very nice.
Besides the hotel, the resort also has many restaurants that offer you the chance to try the culinary traditions that turn the Big Apple into a Mecca of gastronomy. You have the choice between:
- the Nin Fine Irishmen with a typical Irish pub menu,
- the Il Fornaio that offers many Italian specialties, such as pasta and pizzas,
- the Shake Shack and the Broadway Burger Bar and Grill offering a great selection of hamburgers,
- the Gallagher's Steakhouse that will surely delight meat and sea food lovers,
- the Tom's Urban with many dishes from all around the world,
- the Chin Chin Café & Sushi dedicated to Asian cuisine,
- the Gonzalez y Gonzales that has a reputation for their tex mex specialties,
- the America dedicated to American cuisine,
- the 48th and Crepe offering waffles, donuts, and sweet and savoury crepes,
- the Nathan's Hot Dogs that has been inspired by the famous diners.
Attractions for everyone
As it is a requirement in Las Vegas, the New York New York also offers some attractions to their visitors. The establishment features:
- a theatre with the excellent burlesque show Zumanity of the Cirque du Soleil,
- ten bars (Bar Crawl, Bar at Times Square, Center Bar, Coyote Ugly, Pour 24, Big Chill, High Limit Bar, The Lobby Bar and The Chocolate Bar),
- a great and complete Spa (offering for example a 50 minute Intoxicating Sugar Scrub for $130, which I highly recommend),
- a small swimming pool, which is unfortunately in the shade, and relatively uninviting compared to other resorts at the Strip,
- a rather small shopping centre (this is not the place to go shopping in Las Vegas),
- an arcade game hall with the latest video games,
- a very impressive roller coaster that goes inside and outside of the establishment and is a lot of fun.
In the end I can say that the New York New York is not one of the most impressive and the most classy hotel-casinos in Las Vegas. However, it deserves a visit, as it offers a nice atmosphere and is a lot of fun.
Unfortunately, the casino does not offer a poker room and the race and sports book space is very small. However, despite the small size, and the fact that it is never crowded make it very nice, unlike the other establishments of the Strip, and many players should be happy here.
As to the hotel, although it does not reach the luxury standards of many of its competitors, it is a great choice, especially for families, as the value for money is excellent.