Review written by Sophie Couard, June 17, 2016.
Winnipeg (the Western Gate) is the capital and largest city in the province of Manitoba in Canada. It is located at the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine rivers and there are many interesting places to visit, such as the Canadian Museum for Human Rights, the Investor Group Field, the Saint Boniface Cathedral, the Esplanade Riel bridge, Wesley Hall at the University of Winnipeg and the Manitoba Legislative Building. The city also has two casinos. There is Club Regent Casino and the McPhillips Station Casino. The latter is the one that I will tell you more about in the rest of this review.
The McPhillips Station Casino in the north of Winnipeg welcomes you in a large casino that has an elegant and classy design. In order to access the casino you must be 19 years or older, and present two pieces of valid identification.
The slot machines
The casino wants to make every player happy, and therefore offers a very large selection of slots. These are available from Monday to Saturday from 9.30 am to 3 am, and Sunday from 11.30 am to 3 am. There are around 800 devices accepting bets from 1 cent to $100. Among them are:
- games with progressive jackpots,
- traditional slot machines with mechanical reels,
- ultra modern video slots with digital screens and many innovative features,
- video poker in different variants,
- multi-denomination devices, electronic roulette.
You can find the following games in this interesting selection:
- great classics, such as for example Queen of Atlantis, African Dusk, Lucky Larry's Lobstermania, Red Hot Jackpots and Whales of Cash,
- games that pay a homage to celebrities, such as Dean Martin's Wild Party, Britney Spears and Michael Jackson.
The table games
The traditional table games are available Monday to Saturday from 9.30 am to 3 am, and Sunday from 11.30 am to 3 am. You can play the following games at many tables:
- squeeze baccarat,
- high card flush,
- texas hold'em bonus,
- fortune pai gow poker.
You can play no limit texas hold'em from Monday to Thursday from 6.45 pm to 3 am, Friday and Saturday from 13.45 pm to 3 am and Sunday from 14.15 pm to 3 am. The games have blinds starting at $1/$2 in cash games and tournaments.
The casino also offers keno and bingo. The bingo sessions are held Fridays and Saturdays at 10.30 am, 1 pm, 3.30 pm, 7 pm, 10 pm and midnight.
Not many other activities
The game selection is of course the primary reason to visit the McPhillips Station Casino in Winnipeg. However, the games are by no means the only service offered by the establishment. In the paragraphs below you can find out what else the casino has to offer.
In fact, when writing this review, the casino does not feature a hotel, but it is expected that a new hotel Canad Inns will open soon. There are other hotels in the near vicinity that you can stay at. The new hotel will offer:
- a self-service buffet (Aaltos),
- different bars (Tavern United, Bistro Mediterranean Eatery and Playmakers Lounge),
- a café-theatre,
- a gym,
- a gift shop.
Michele's Restaurant is open from Monday to Saturday from 11 am to midnight and Sunday from noon to midnight. The restaurant offers a large enough menu with service every day for lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. You can also enjoy an all-you-can-eat buffet Thursday to Sunday from 4 pm to 9 pm. On Sundays, it is also possible to have a brunch between noon and 3 pm.
You can have a drink or a small snack at one of the following bars:
- the Dixie's Lounge which is open from Monday to Saturday from 11:30 am to 2 am and on Sundays from 12 am to 2 am,
- the Upperdeck Sports Bar which is open from Monday to Saturday from 11 am to midnight and Sunday from noon to midnight,
- the Double Down Lounge which is open from Thursday to Sunday from 11 am to midnight.
In conclusion, the McPhillips Station Casino in Winnipeg has a lot to offer. In addition to great restaurant and bars, it is also the games room that catches the attention of the visitors. It offers a very diverse game selection that will surely make most players very happy. Although there is no race & sports betting area, you can enjoy the keno and bingo sessions.
By car : Trans-Canada Highway.
By plane : International airport of Winnipeg.
Slot machines and table games : Monday to Saturday from 9.30 am to 3 am, and Sunday from 11.30 am to 3 am.
Poker : Monday to Thursday from 6.45 pm to 3 am, Friday and Saturday from 13.45 pm to 3 am and Sunday from 14.15 pm to 3 am.